While many people want to jump straight into the house–hunting part of the buying process, it's important to understand what the process entails first. Luckily, housing counselors can do just that.
Housing counselors help you assess your individual financial situation, including whether homeownership is right for you. They may also be able to identify local government–sponsored down payment and closing cost assistance funding that you may be eligible to receive.
A trusted advisor, your housing counselor can help you with the following at little to no cost:
- Educate you on the homebuying process and homeownership
- Provide guidance on down payment options and local down payment assistance programs
- Help you understand the types of mortgages available
- Help you build, maintain and improve your credit
- Advise on the role of your real estate agent and lender
- Provide budget and credit advice
Housing counselors can also provide guidance if you're facing financial difficulties and are struggling to pay your mortgage. To find a housing counselor near you, visit one of our Borrower Help Centers or call our Borrower Help Network for help.
What Home Means to Me
"It feels incredible and freeing to own my own home. To be able to provide for my family in this way is what I have strived for in life, and the space we have to raise our two girls means more than anything."
Have a comment or question about this post? Email us to let us know what's on your mind.