October 30, 2018

Would You Buy a Haunted House?

You're in luck! You just found your dream home with a spacious master bedroom, a walk-in closet, an updated kitchen, a large fenced–in backyard — and the asking price is way under your budget. The only downside is that you'll be sharing the guest room with the spirit of a 19th century oil baron.

Your dream home is haunted. Are you still interested?

According to a new survey from Realtor.com, 49% of prospective homebuyers would never consider purchasing a home if its amenities include ghost sightings and levitating objects. The other 51% would consider it only if the house was discounted (15%) or had a killer (pun intended) feature, like a larger kitchen or was in a good neighborhood (9%). Millennials, the generation looking to break into the housing market for the first time, said that a lower price tag would persuade them to buy a haunted house at a higher rate (17%) than their older counterparts. In fact, prospective homebuyers over the age of 55 were most likely to never buy a haunted house – a whopping 61% said that nothing would convince them to purchase a haunted home.

Are you one of the 49% that would never buy a home that was haunted? Then you might as well take some of the famous spooky homes in the hottest markets in America off your wish list.

  1. Winchester Mystery Home, San Jose, California. This home of a former firearms magnate is known for its size, architectural anomalies… and malevolent spirits.
  2. Mordecai House, Raleigh, North Carolina. This mansion, built in 1785, is the oldest residence in Raleigh that is still on its original foundation and has round–the–clock entertainment. Mary Willis Mordecai Turk, who died in 1937, can still be heard playing the piano in the downstairs drawing room at all hours.
  3. Hotel Ändra, Seattle Washington. This hotel dates back to the 1920s and it's filled with ghouls that embody (or not) the roaring 20s. Legend has it that raucous jazz and breaking glass can be heard from the hotel's 9th floor.
  4. Littlefield House, Austin, Texas. Hailed as the most haunted house in academia, this spot on the University of Texas campus features ghost sightings, bumps in the night and the unmistakable aroma of spirits in the air.
  5. Peabody–Whitehead Mansion, Denver, Colorado. This 19th century Queen Ann mansion was once the home of surgeon William Riddick Whitehead and is purportedly the current home to a  jilted ghost bride named Elloise.
  • Feedback

    Have a comment or question about this post? Email us to let us know what's on your mind.

    Maximum of 250 characters.