The state of Iowa itself boasts four such towns, which is more than any other state. These join the other patriotic-sounding city names nationwide including:
- Thirty-one places that are named "eagle" after the majestic bird that serves as our national symbol.
- Twelve places that have "independence" in their name, the biggest of which is Independence, Missouri with 113,000 residents.
- Nine places that adopted the name "freedom."
- Five places in the country that are named "America," the most populous being American Fork, Utah.
- The one place named "patriot."
Source: National League of Cities
Have a comment or question about this post? Email us to let us know what's on your mind.