Freddie Mac is a much better company that has transformed significantly. In the last year alone, we hit several important milestones. Today, we're efficiently and effectively executing on our mission – to provide liquidity, stability and affordability to the mortgage market. We're delivering on our mission in many important ways, helping to foster a better, stronger housing finance system for the nation.
"We now have a fully competitive company that is executing on its mission, protecting taxpayers and helping to build a better housing finance system for the nation. We are all proud to be part of this better Freddie Mac."
Highlights of our milestones and accomplishments from 2017 include:
- Our total guarantee portfolio grew to $2 trillion, reaching the best annual growth in a decade and its highest level ever.
- Credit risk transfer is fully integrated into our business model, changing the way we're funding the mortgage market for the better. To date, we've transferred a portion of credit risk on more than $1 trillion of mortgages, pushing risk away from taxpayers.
- Our funding for first-time homebuyers is at a 10-year high.
- Through our Duty to Serve plan, we're developing innovative solutions to help the nation's most underserved markets.
- For the third straight year, we're the nation's top financier of multifamily business, funding more than 820,000 apartment units – the vast majority being affordable for low- to moderate-income families.
- Working together with our industry partners, including lenders, servicers and investors, we supported 2.3 million of America's families.
What's more, a better Freddie Mac is delivering solid financial results to taxpayers.
- We reported $5.6 billion in net income.
- We've returned more than $112 billion to Treasury, nearly 60 percent more than we've received in draws.
Learn more about how we're a better, more effective company that's building a better housing finance system.