Freddie Mac strongly supports the benefit of credit education and building sound financial literacy skills among consumers. Well-informed and well-prepared homebuyers are on the best path to enjoying successful and sustainable homeownership. As part of this ongoing commitment, Freddie Mac developed CreditSmart®, a multilingual financial education curriculum and consumer outreach initiative designed to help consumers build and maintain better credit, make sound financial decisions, and understand the steps to sustainable homeownership. CreditSmart increases consumers' financial understanding by teaching life-long money management skills and showing consumers how to avoid foreclosure and keep their home.
The CreditSmart curriculum includes financial education modules to meet consumers' diverse homeownership needs and features information on credit, money management, homeownership, foreclosure avoidance, and more. The 12-module CreditSmart curriculum (described below) is available in five different languages, including English, Spanish (CreditSmart Español), plus Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese (CreditSmart Asian).
CreditSmart Consumer Online Resources
There are three consumer online versions of CreditSmart:
- CreditSmart Steps to Homeownership Tutorial – With Certificate.
- CreditSmart 12-Module Financial Education Curriculum – No Certificate
- CreditSmart Military Financial Readiness
Details on each of these online CreditSmart resources are below.
CreditSmart Steps to Homeownership Tutorial – With Certificate
This CreditSmart tutorial fulfills the homebuyer education requirement for Home Possible® mortgage first-time homebuyers. Printable certificate of completion with borrower's name is generated after successfully completing the quiz. FREE. English only. Access here.
CreditSmart 12-Module Financial Education Curriculum – No Certificate
Features 12 financial education modules that provide valuable information to help clients build and maintain better credit, make sound financial decisions and understand the steps to sustainable homeownership. FREE. Available in English and Spanish. No certificate. Access here.
CreditSmart Military Financial Readiness
Financial literacy publication for servicemembers (past and present) to help them prepare financially for deployment, avoid financial schemes that target military families and to manage their money wisely while in the military. It also takes a look at the VA home loan program. FREE. English only. Access here.
CreditSmart Instructor Resources
- Read an overview of the CreditSmart curriculum.
- Learn more about how your organization can offer financial education through the CreditSmart curriculum in your community.
- Register for a free, web-based instructor training series on CreditSmart (offered several times throughout the year).
Additional Resources for Housing Professionals
Freddie Mac has developed a variety of resources to help housing professionals guide consumers through the various stages of the homeownership process and meet the changing needs of the marketplace.
- Facilitate an interactive workshop to dispel popular myths about homeownership and foreclosure with the Get the Facts on Homeownership workshop materials.
- Visit the Housing Professionals page for quick access to valuable links to resources that you can use to prepare borrowers for homeownership, protect consumers from financial traps, and educate consumers about alternatives to foreclosure.
- Reach and teach consumers with the nine different brochures in our Homeownership Education series, covering topics including educating potential homebuyers, protecting borrowers during the homebuying process, and helping homeowners protect their home investment and avoid foreclosure.
- Stay connected! Subscribe to Freddie Mac's Housing Professional Outreach News.
- Refer clients to My Home by Freddie Mac® , an interactive website that helps consumers become smart homebuyers, homeowners, and renters.
If you have questions about the CreditSmart curriculum contact Creditsmart_training@freddiemac.com.