Considering a Home
Rent or Buy
The advantages of owning or renting are different for everyone, so be sure to consider important personal situations and long-term goals before making your decision.
- Is buying or renting right for you?
- Buying a home
- Buying a Freddie Mac-owned property
- Renting a home
Ready to Buy
As you prepare to look for homes, make sure that you know how much you can comfortably afford. Also, you’ll want to know how your credit and the type of mortgage you choose can affect your monthly payments and overall cost of the loan.
- How much can you afford?
- The importance of good credit
- Choosing the right mortgage
- Avoiding financial traps
The Mortgage Process
Buying a home is an exciting experience, but it can also be overwhelming if you don’t understand the entire mortgage process. Knowing what to expect will help you make the right decisions about your new home purchase.
- Getting started
- Applying for and getting your mortgage
- Understanding your costs
- What to expect at closing
Tools and Resources
- CreditSmart® Online Training
- Mortgage Rates Hit 50-Year Low
- Building Better Credit
- Buying a Home
- Step-by-Step Mortgage Guide
- Tax Savings Calculator
- How Much Can You Afford Calculator
- How Much Can You Borrow Calculator
- Fixed or Adjustable Mortgage Calculator
- More Calculators
Get Smart About Credit
Take our online, interactive training courses to learn about credit, money management, and responsible homeownership.