Market Commentary Archive
Here you will find thought-provoking insights from our leadership, our original multifamily industry research and recent news coverage.
- 2014 Multifamily Housing Outlook
February, 28, 2014
The Multifamily housing outlook and short video highlight that multifamily growth will be favorable, but will also moderate and become more in line with long-run historical levels.
Watch VideoMultifamily Video Playlist
- GSE Rush to Lend to Aging Properties
Affordable Housing Finance, Jan./Feb. 2014, page 26
The GSEs see increasing opportunities in lending to preserve old affordable housing properties in the next five years.
- Default Ruthlessness: Examining Borrower Default Behavior
CRE Finance World, Winter 2014
A Freddie Mac analysis showed that LTV and DCR are not the only determining factors for defaults on commercial mortgages.
- Multifamily Affordability: Market Conditions and Policy Perspectives
December 18, 2013
Freddie Mac research highlights the growing rental housing affordability issue and suggests ways to identify areas with affordability issues.
- The Demographic Shift from Single-Family to Multifamily Housing
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, 2014
Projecting very strong growth in multifamily construction for the balance of this decade.
- America's Rental Housing: Evolving Markets and Needs
Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard, December 9, 2013
This new report on America's rental housing finds that problems for renters have skyrocketed over the past decade both in number and the share of renters facing them. The inability of so many to find housing they can afford dramatically impacts the health and well-being of U.S. renters, as lower-income households cut back on food, healthcare, and savings, just to keep up.
- Multifamily Market Impact Analysis
December 6, 2013
How would the multifamily rental housing market be affected if the government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) lost access to a government guarantee? Read highlights of research that Freddie Mac and several independent experts conducted to answer that question.
- Multifamily Executive
Forward Thinker; David Brickman continues to lead Freddie Mac's multifamily group toward success—with or without government regulation. (page 22)
- 2013 Women of Influence
HousingWire, November 1, 2013
SVP Debby Jenkins was named HousingWire magazine's top 20 influential women for 2013.
- Multifamily Business Primer
October 23, 2013
Want to know more about our Multifamily business and contributions to US rental housing? Here's a closer look.
- Morningstar Rankings
October 23, 2013
Morningstar ranks Freddie Mac special servicer and trust advisor capabilities.
- A New Generation of Thought on Apartment Life
October 21, 2013
SVP David Brickman shares his thoughts on the new generation of apartment life.
- Freddie Mac Closes $195M Bulk Loan Sale
Commercial Property Executive, October 15, 2013
Freddie Mac recently wrapped up its first multi-family bulk loan disposition, selling 27 performing mortgage loans.
- Brickman Fine-Tunes Freddie, With Eye on Future
Multifamily Executive, October 2, 2013
Forward-thinker David Brickman continues to lead Freddie Mac's multifamily group toward success with or without government regulation.
- Apartment Buildings on Solid Ground
September 23, 2013
Chief Economist Frank Nothaft discusses how the decline in cap rates and growth in rents (adjusted for inflation) are key fundamentals that explain the rise in apartment values over the past decade.
- K-Deals: A Model for the Future of Mortgage Securitization
September 8, 2013
Multifamily business head David Brickman explains how K-Deals finance affordable rental housing while minimizing risk to taxpayers.
- A Closer Look: 5 Things to Know about the Multifamily Business
September 5, 2013
If you're not familiar with Freddie Mac Multifamily, here's a quick primer.
- Freddie Mac Multifamily’s Plan to Increase Affordable Preservation
Multi-Housing News, September 5, 2013
Our plans to increase our focus on affordable preservation and why those transactions have been so successful.
- Introducing Our Multifamily Investment Index
August 8, 2013
Our initial finding: apartments still a good investment in most metropolitan areas.
- Freddie Mac Gets Aggressive on Affordable Deals
Multifamily Executive, August 2013
Those looking to hit the sweet spot to strike an agency deal on an affordable housing property are seizing the day.
- The State of the Nation's Housing 2013
Harvard's annual study highlights the homeownership and rental housing markets, including the growing demand for affordable rental housing.
- Commercial Mortgage Defaults from 1972-2011
CRE Finance World, Summer 2013, page 42
Freddie Mac original research on the implications of loan performance differences since the last recession.
- Freddie Mac Receives Above Average Master Servicing Ranking
June 7, 2013
The high ranking from Standard & Poor's reflects the quality of the Freddie Mac Multifamily operations, technology and staff.
- Standard & Poor's Master Servicer Ranking Report
June 7, 2013
Standard & Poor’s assigned an overall ABOVE AVERAGE ranking to Freddie Mac as a multifamily mortgage loan master servicer.
- FHFA Releases GSE Reports on Multifamily
May 3, 2013
The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has published reports from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae regarding multifamily housing finance reform.
- Underwriting Underscores Strong Credit Culture
April 24, 2013
SVP Debby Jenkins explains how our credit principles and in-house underwriting staff promote prudent credit decision making.
- Freddie Mac Multifamily 2012 Business Results
March 13, 2013
Freddie Mac Multifamily created significant value in 2012, says Bill Buskirk, Multifamily chief financial officer.
- The 50 Most Important People in Commercial Real Estate
March 5, 2013
Freddie Mac's David Brickman named to the top 10 list for leading Multifamily to a record year.
- Freddie Mac calls 2012 a golden year for multifamily
HousingWire, February 27, 2013
Freddie Mac announced it posted a record $28.8 billion in multifamily business volume in 2012.
- Big Real-Estate Firms Are Going to School — Developers Test the Market for Off-Campus College Housing; Amenities Include Tanning Beds and Resort-Style Pools
The Wall Street Journal, February 26, 2013
Housing for college students is attracting some of the biggest names in real-estate development.
- Our Focus on Rental Housing Affordability
February 18, 2013
Today, 15 million households live in multifamily apartment properties and rental housing demand is expected to rise for years to come.
- The Trillion Dollar Apartment Industry
National Multi Housing Council and National Apartment Association Research, February 12, 2013
How the apartment industry and it's 35 million residents support the economy.
- Some Counterintuitive Predictions for Multifamily
CRE Finance World, Winter 2013
Why certain multifamily trends do not always point to a predictable result.
- Certainty in the Face of Change: Why the Shifting Seniors Housing and Healthcare Market Will Remain a Strong Investment
CRE Finance World 2013
The healthcare and seniors housing markets are booming.
- Reducing Taxpayer Risk Through Multifamily Securitization (Video)
Freddie Mac video, February 7, 2013
SVP David Brickman and VP Mitchell Resnick discuss how securitizing loans backed by apartment buildings utilizes private capital to reduce the company's risk.
- Affordable Debt Financing Outlook (Video)
Affordable Housing Finance website, January 2013
Kim Griffith discusses what's in store for the tax-exempt bond and debt financing markets
- Our Partnership with You: Execution Certainty and Quality Service
By John Cannon and Debby Jenkins, November 14, 2012
John Cannon and Debby Jenkins explain the impact of their teams’ partnership for Seller/Servicers and borrowers.
- Multifamily Real Estate Market Demand Forecast
Freddie Mac Multifamily Research, November 5, 2012
The Multifamily Research Group forecasts slow economic growth with an additional 1.7 million new multifamily renter households between now and 2015.
- Economic and Multifamily Housing Update
By Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac Chief Economist, October 5 2012
Read the latest update from our chief economist, which was provided as part our 2012 Multifamily Seller/Servicer Conference.
- Q&A with Freddie Mac's John Cannon
Multifamily Executive, October 2012
Freddie Mac SVP John Cannon shares his views on the current Multifamily market and describes what's in store for 2013.
- 2012 Credit Policy Changes: Modest Tightening, on Average
By VP Ed Hussey, Sept 20, 2012
Ed Hussey, vice president, explains how we've made adjustments to modestly tighten our credit standards during the last year. Our approach to credit discipline helps ensure a strong foundation for the rental housing market, and is responsive to changes in rental market fundamentals.
- GAO Report on GSE Multifamily Businesses
U.S. Government Accountability Office September 6, 2012
A new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) finds that GSE multifamily housing business has increased, and that the GSEs fund higher-quality loans than many in the private market.
- How Multifamily Creates Value: A Progress Report
By SVP David Brickman, Sept 4, 2012
This blog focuses on how Freddie Mac is creating value for its stakeholders as well as the U.S. taxpayers who capitalize Freddie Mac.
- Women of Influence
Real Estate Forum, July/August 2012
Multifamily's Debby Jenkins named to Real Estate Forum magazine's Women of Influence in Commercial Real Estate
- Putting Multifamily in Context
By SVP David Brickman, May 7, 2012
Learn about the separate and distinct role of multifamily in our nation's housing.
- Preservation Attention
Affordable Housing Finance, April/May 2012
Freddie Turns Its Attention More Fully to Preservation Deals in Response to Increased Competition
- Multifamily Property Valuations
Freddie Mac Multifamily Research, April 2012
The healthy multifamily market has caused some to question today’s property valuations. We show why market fundamentals support current valuations.
- Fannie, Freddie Lead Surge in Multifamily Lending
HousingWire, April 11, 2012
The Mortgage Bankers Association reports commercial loan origination volumes for Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Federal Housing Administration hit new records last year, with the multifamily segment leading the growth.
- Multifamily Bonds Surging to Record U.S. as CMBS Fade
Bloomberg, April 9, 2012
Bonds backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac tied to apartments soared to a record as the government-supported mortgage companies made low-cost loans on rental properties amid a continued slide in home values.
- Multifamily on a Roll
By SVP David Brickman, February 13, 2012
Multifamily is a much-needed bright spot in real estate and the economy.
- The Coming Rental Housing Wave
By SVP David Brickman, Oct 31, 2011
It is projected that $1 trillion in capital and 10 million additional apartment units are needed in the next 10 years as more individuals turn to apartment living.
- Mysteries Revealed
CRE Finance World, Summer 2011
Freddie Mac Multifamily research on “Why CMBS Multifamily Performance is so Much Worse than Agency and Life Company Experience.”