Here you will find thought-provoking insights from our leadership, our original multifamily industry research and recent news coverage.
- FHFA Releases GSE Reports on Multifamily
May 3, 2013
The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has published reports from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae regarding multifamily housing finance reform.
- Underwriting Underscores Strong Credit Culture
April 24, 2013
SVP Debby Jenkins explains how our credit principles and in-house underwriting staff promote prudent credit decision making.
- Freddie Mac Multifamily 2012 Business Results
March 13, 2013
Freddie Mac Multifamily created significant value in 2012, says Bill Buskirk, Multifamily chief financial officer.
- The 50 Most Important People in Commercial Real Estate
March 5, 2013
Freddie Mac's David Brickman named to the top 10 list for leading Multifamily to a record year.
- Freddie Mac calls 2012 a golden year for multifamily
HousingWire, February 27, 2013
Freddie Mac announced it posted a record $28.8 billion in multifamily business volume in 2012.
- Big Real-Estate Firms Are Going to School — Developers Test the Market for Off-Campus College Housing; Amenities Include Tanning Beds and Resort-Style Pools
The Wall Street Journal, February 26, 2013
Housing for college students is attracting some of the biggest names in real-estate development.
- Our Focus on Rental Housing Affordability
February 18, 2013
Today, 15 million households live in multifamily apartment properties and rental housing demand is expected to rise for years to come.
- The Trillion Dollar Apartment Industry
National Multi Housing Council and National Apartment Association Research, February 12, 2013
How the apartment industry and it's 35 million residents support the economy.
- Some Counterintuitive Predictions for Multifamily
CRE Finance World, Winter 2013
Why certain multifamily trends do not always point to a predictable result.
- Certainty in the Face of Change: Why the Shifting Seniors Housing and Healthcare Market Will Remain a Strong Investment
CRE Finance World 2013
The healthcare and seniors housing markets are booming.
- Reducing Taxpayer Risk Through Multifamily Securitization (Video)
Freddie Mac video, February 7, 2013
SVP David Brickman and VP Mitchell Resnick discuss how securitizing loans backed by apartment buildings utilizes private capital to reduce the company's risk.
- Affordable Debt Financing Outlook (Video)
Affordable Housing Finance website, January 2013
Kim Griffith discusses what's in store for the tax-exempt bond and debt financing markets
- Our Partnership with You: Execution Certainty and Quality Service
By John Cannon and Debby Jenkins, November 14, 2012
John Cannon and Debby Jenkins explain the impact of their teams’ partnership for Seller/Servicers and borrowers.
- Multifamily Real Estate Market Demand Forecast
Freddie Mac Multifamily Research, November 5, 2012
The Multifamily Research Group forecasts slow economic growth with an additional 1.7 million new multifamily renter households between now and 2015.
- Economic and Multifamily Housing Update
By Frank Nothaft, Freddie Mac Chief Economist, October 5 2012
Read the latest update from our chief economist, which was provided as part our 2012 Multifamily Seller/Servicer Conference.
- Q&A with Freddie Mac's John Cannon
Multifamily Executive, October 2012
Freddie Mac SVP John Cannon shares his views on the current Multifamily market and describes what's in store for 2013.
- 2012 Credit Policy Changes: Modest Tightening, on Average
By VP Ed Hussey, Sept 20, 2012
Ed Hussey, vice president, explains how we've made adjustments to modestly tighten our credit standards during the last year. Our approach to credit discipline helps ensure a strong foundation for the rental housing market, and is responsive to changes in rental market fundamentals.
- GAO Report on GSE Multifamily Businesses
U.S. Government Accountability Office September 6, 2012
A new report by the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) finds that GSE multifamily housing business has increased, and that the GSEs fund higher-quality loans than many in the private market.
- How Multifamily Creates Value: A Progress Report
By SVP David Brickman, Sept 4, 2012
This blog focuses on how Freddie Mac is creating value for its stakeholders as well as the U.S. taxpayers who capitalize Freddie Mac.
- Women of Influence
Real Estate Forum, July/August 2012
Multifamily's Debby Jenkins named to Real Estate Forum magazine's Women of Influence in Commercial Real Estate
- Putting Multifamily in Context
By SVP David Brickman, May 7, 2012
Learn about the separate and distinct role of multifamily in our nation's housing.
- Preservation Attention
Affordable Housing Finance, April/May 2012
Freddie Turns Its Attention More Fully to Preservation Deals in Response to Increased Competition
- Multifamily Property Valuations
Freddie Mac Multifamily Research, April 2012
The healthy multifamily market has caused some to question today’s property valuations. We show why market fundamentals support current valuations.
- Fannie, Freddie Lead Surge in Multifamily Lending
HousingWire, April 11, 2012
The Mortgage Bankers Association reports commercial loan origination volumes for Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the Federal Housing Administration hit new records last year, with the multifamily segment leading the growth.
- Multifamily Bonds Surging to Record U.S. as CMBS Fade
Bloomberg, April 9, 2012
Bonds backed by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac tied to apartments soared to a record as the government-supported mortgage companies made low-cost loans on rental properties amid a continued slide in home values.
- Multifamily on a Roll
By SVP David Brickman, February 13, 2012
Multifamily is a much-needed bright spot in real estate and the economy.
- The Coming Rental Housing Wave
By SVP David Brickman, Oct 31, 2011
It is projected that $1 trillion in capital and 10 million additional apartment units are needed in the next 10 years as more individuals turn to apartment living.
- Mysteries Revealed
CRE Finance World, Summer 2011
Freddie Mac Multifamily research on “Why CMBS Multifamily Performance is so Much Worse than Agency and Life Company Experience.”