Here you will find thought-provoking insights from our leadership, recent news coverage and links to pages that contain our original multifamily industry research and investor data.
- Mid-Year Housing Outlook: Finding A New Normal
July 31, 2014
Multifamily market demand continues to be strong at the national level and is expected to remain so, at least through next year.
- Affordable Multifamily Housing: Weighing the Options
March 10, 2014
EVP David Brickman explores options for addressing the need for affordable rental housing and the trade-offs that come with choosing one policy approach over another.
- Multifamily Housing Outlook
February, 28, 2014
The Multifamily housing outlook and short video highlight that multifamily growth will be favorable, but will also moderate and become more in line with long-run historical levels.
- Default Ruthlessness: Examining Borrower Default Behavior
CRE Finance World, Winter 2014
A Freddie Mac analysis showed that LTV and DCR are not the only determining factors for defaults on commercial mortgages.
- Multifamily Affordability: Market Conditions and Policy Perspectives
December 18, 2013
Freddie Mac research highlights the growing rental housing affordability issue and suggests ways to identify areas with affordability issues.
- Market Predictions from Multifamily Seller/Servicers
A poll from our Chief Economist, Frank Nothaft, highlights what experts and insiders are saying and thinking about the short term and long term prospects for the multifamily market.
- Morningstar Rankings
October 23, 2013
Morningstar ranks Freddie Mac special servicer and trust advisor capabilities.
- A New Generation of Thought on Apartment Life
October 21, 2013
SVP David Brickman shares his thoughts on the new generation of apartment life.
- Apartment Buildings on Solid Ground
September 23, 2013
Chief Economist Frank Nothaft discusses how the decline in cap rates and growth in rents (adjusted for inflation) are key fundamentals that explain the rise in apartment values over the past decade.
- K-Deals: A Model for the Future of Mortgage Securitization
September 8, 2013
Multifamily business head David Brickman explains how K-Deals finance affordable rental housing while minimizing risk to taxpayers.
- Introducing Our Multifamily Investment Index
August 8, 2013
Our initial finding: apartments still a good investment in most metropolitan areas.
- Commercial Mortgage Defaults from 1972-2011
CRE Finance World, Summer 2013, page 42
Freddie Mac original research on the implications of loan performance differences since the last recession.
- FHFA Releases GSE Reports on Multifamily
May 3, 2013
The Federal Housing Finance Agency (FHFA) has published reports from Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae regarding multifamily housing finance reform.
- Freddie Mac Multifamily 2012 Business Results
March 13, 2013
Freddie Mac Multifamily created significant value in 2012, says Bill Buskirk, Multifamily chief financial officer.
- Our Focus on Rental Housing Affordability
February 18, 2013
Today, 15 million households live in multifamily apartment properties and rental housing demand is expected to rise for years to come.
- CRE Finance Roundtable: The Risk Cycle
CRE Finance World, Autumn 2014
Interviews with industry experts on where we are in the market cycle and the fairest way to describe current risk-taking behaviors.
- Freddie Mac Expands into Small Apartment Mortgages
Bloomberg, October 9, 2014
Freddie Mac is building a business to originate small apartment loans, between $1 million and $5 million, to support affordable housing.
- Freddie Mac Launches Small Loan Initiative
Multifamily Executive, October 9, 2014
Freddie Mac officials see a big opportunity in the small loans space.
- Housing America's Older Adults
Harvard Joint Center for Housing Studies and AARP Foundation, September 2, 2014
America’s older population is experiencing unprecedented growth, but the country is not prepared to meet the housing needs of this aging group.
- It Is Not Your Imagination: MF Origination is Down This Year
GlobeSt.com, August 5, 2014
Industry originations are down as Freddie Mac reaches a milestone of $80 billion in K-Deal securitizations.
- How Multifamily is Saving the Sunbelt Office
Wells Fargo Securities, July 17, 2014
Supply Risk In The Strong Submarkets Is Lower, While Demand Is Up
- Freddie Mac Predicts Multifamily Home Shortage by 2023
RealtyBiz News, July 16, 2014
EVP David Brickman talks about the rising demand for rental housing.
- Barclays Aggregate Bond Index Changes to Benefit Multifamily
Commercial Property Executive, May 12, 2014
Barclays is adding agency commercial mortgage-backed securities (CMBS) issued by Freddie Mac to its U.S. Aggregate and Global Aggregate indices.
- Q&A: David Brickman, Executive Vice President and Head of Multifamily at Freddie Mac
Mortgage Observer, March 26,2014
EVP David Brickman tells Mortgage Observer about the strength of the multifamily market, investors' huge appetite for K-Deals and just how far things have come since the dark days of 2009.
- GSE Rush to Lend to Aging Properties
Affordable Housing Finance, Jan./Feb. 2014, page 26
The GSEs see increasing opportunities in lending to preserve old affordable housing properties in the next five years.
- The Demographic Shift from Single-Family to Multifamily Housing
Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, 2014
Projecting very strong growth in multifamily construction for the balance of this decade.
- America's Rental Housing: Evolving Markets and Needs
Joint Center for Housing Studies at Harvard, December 9, 2013
This new report on America's rental housing finds that problems for renters have skyrocketed over the past decade both in number and the share of renters facing them. The inability of so many to find housing they can afford dramatically impacts the health and well-being of U.S. renters, as lower-income households cut back on food, healthcare, and savings, just to keep up.
- Multifamily Executive
Forward Thinker; David Brickman continues to lead Freddie Mac's multifamily group toward success—with or without government regulation. (page 22)
- 2013 Women of Influence
HousingWire, November 1, 2013
SVP Debby Jenkins was named HousingWire magazine's top 20 influential women for 2013.
- Freddie Mac Closes $195M Bulk Loan Sale
Commercial Property Executive, October 15, 2013
Freddie Mac recently wrapped up its first multi-family bulk loan disposition, selling 27 performing mortgage loans.
- Brickman Fine-Tunes Freddie, With Eye on Future
Multifamily Executive, October 2, 2013
Forward-thinker David Brickman continues to lead Freddie Mac's multifamily group toward success with or without government regulation.
- Freddie Mac Multifamily’s Plan to Increase Affordable Preservation
Multi-Housing News, September 5, 2013
Our plans to increase our focus on affordable preservation and why those transactions have been so successful.
- Freddie Mac Gets Aggressive on Affordable Deals
Multifamily Executive, August 2013
Those looking to hit the sweet spot to strike an agency deal on an affordable housing property are seizing the day.
- The State of the Nation's Housing 2013
Harvard's annual study highlights the homeownership and rental housing markets, including the growing demand for affordable rental housing.
- The 50 Most Important People in Commercial Real Estate
March 5, 2013
Freddie Mac's David Brickman named to the top 10 list for leading Multifamily to a record year.
- Freddie Mac calls 2012 a golden year for multifamily
HousingWire, February 27, 2013
Freddie Mac announced it posted a record $28.8 billion in multifamily business volume in 2012.
- Big Real-Estate Firms Are Going to School — Developers Test the Market for Off-Campus College Housing; Amenities Include Tanning Beds and Resort-Style Pools
The Wall Street Journal, February 26, 2013
Housing for college students is attracting some of the biggest names in real-estate development.
- Rental Affordability and Targeted Affordable Housing
Finding an affordable apartment is a challenge for a growing number of renters. Our Targeted Affordable Housing business delivers mission-critical support for subsidized lower-income housing.
- Our Market Contributions
The rental housing market relies on Freddie Mac Multifamily to provide support nationwide. See how we've been doing.
- K-Deal Securitization Program
How do K-Deals reflect the future of housing finance today? By transferring risk and attracting private capital.
- Multifamily Market Impact Analysis
How would the multifamily rental housing market be affected by the removal of government guarantees? Read highlights of the research paper prepared by Freddie Mac and several independent experts.
- Multifamily Business Primer
Want to know more about our Multifamily business and contributions to U.S. rental housing? Here's a closer look.
- 5 Things to Know About Multifamily
If you're not familiar with Freddie Mac Multifamily, here's a quick primer.
Rental Housing Blog
Freddie Mac Multifamily conducts original research and analysis on a variety of industry topics.
Freddie Mac Multifamily provides regular updates of our Loan Performance Dataset.
See our latest press releases. Read More