Bulk Portfolio Sales
How to Complete a Bulk Sale
We offer a dependable, competitive source of liquidity for your mortgages sales in all market conditions and geographic areas. When you sell mortgages to us, you can choose from a variety of execution options that allow you to swap your loans for mortgage-backed securities or receive cash in exchange for your mortgages. If you're holding 1- and 2- unit single-family residential mortgages in your portfolio, consider a bulk portfolio sale.
Step 1: Prepare your loan data for submission.
- Compile your loan data using this Excel spreadsheet. You will import this data file through our secure online Portfolio Loan Data Submission Tool.
- View our Portfolio Submission Data Set for an at-a-glance list of data fields that must be included in the Excel file.
- Data Sets for Delayed Pricing Implementation due to Hurricane Sandy. Compile your loan data using this Excel Spreadsheet-Sandy. You will import this data file through our secure online Portfolio Loan Data Submission Tool.
Step 2: Submit your portfolio loan data file to us through our Portfolio Loan Data Submission Tool.
The data you provide will be encrypted for secure transmission. If you have additional questions about using the secure Portfolio Data Submission Tool, please call (800) FREDDIE.
Step 3: Freddie Mac analyzes your data and discusses your sale objectives with you.
We'll analyze your loan data to determine if there are any ambiguities or missing information. Next, we'll call you to discuss the data you provided and speak with you about your goals, objectives, and timing for completing a bulk sale.
Step 4: Receive a bid presentation from Freddie Mac.
Once we've analyzed your loan data and structured a possible bulk sale to meet your objectives, we'll present you with a proposal. The proposal will describe the population of eligible loans in the transaction, the terms of our credit guarantee, how the loans could be pooled into securities, and the cash price for a sale of those loans or securities, if applicable.
Step 5: Deliver your loans to Freddie Mac.
If you accept the bid proposal, we'll then work with you on the delivery of those loans for a smooth and timely settlement of your transaction. Once you've completed a bulk portfolio sale, you will have improved your institution's ability to manage credit risk, interest-rate risk, and liquidity risk.
Get more details about our bulk sale solutions
- FAQ: Freddie Mac's Mortgage Portfolio Analysis Service and Sale Options, a list of frequently asked questions – with answers – to help you understand how we'll work with you to improve your mortgage portfolio performance.
- Advanced Mortgage Portfolio Management, an overview of Freddie Mac's mortgage portfolio services.
- Mortgage Portfolio Analysis Service and Sale Options: Securitization and Cash Solutions, our handbook that walks you through the details of our portfolio strategy and sale options, including processes and data submission file formats.
Portfolio Loan Data Submission
- Submit your portfolio loan data directly to Freddie Mac through our secure tool.