Avoiding Foreclosure Resource Center
Helping You Help Consumers
During this critical time for homeowners and the housing market, we vigorously back our long-standing commitment to help borrowers avoid foreclosure and keep their homes whenever possible. This resource center provides one-stop shopping for those who interface with consumers - especially the Sellers, Servicers, and community-based organizations working in neighborhoods every day helping homeowners avoid foreclosure.
Are you a homeowner? The President’s plan was created to help millions of homeowners refinance or modify their mortgages to a payment that is affordable, both now and in the future. Find out if you are eligible.
Download Best Practices
We've taken the finest of what we've learned – through research and practical application – and created a set of Best Practices just for you.
- Affordable Servicing Best Practices For Housing Counselors
- Promoting Responsible Servicing Practices
- Interventions in Mortgage Default: Policies and Practices to Prevent Home Loss and Lower Costs
- Fraud Prevention Best Practices
Provide the following information to homeowners to help them understand the foreclosure process and alternatives to foreclosure.
- Learn about the REO Rental Initiative.
- Customize materials from our Avoiding Foreclosure toolkit.
- Direct consumers to Buying and Owning a Home – Avoiding Foreclosure.
- Show Freddie Mac's Avoid Mortgage Fraud video on YouTube®.
- Read about mortgage fraud trends.
- Customize materials from our Fraud Prevention Toolkit.
Facilitate Alternatives to Foreclosure and Workouts (for Freddie Mac Servicers only)
We want you to be successful, so we're offering technology, information, and incentives to get you started and keep you going.
- Implement the Home Affordable Modification Program.
- Implement the Home Affordable Foreclosure Alternatives Initiative.
- Learn about short-term and extended unemployment forbearance.
- Find out about HFA Mortgage Assistance Programs.
- Learn about the Freddie Mac Standard Modification.
- Find mortgage Relief for Active Duty Service Members (SCRA).
- Learn about our incentives for helping borrowers avoid foreclosure.
- Analyze your entire portfolio of pending and completed workouts online using Workout Manager®.
- Identify and structure the most viable foreclosure alternatives with Workout Prospector®.
- Review the main points of Helping Borrowers Avoid Foreclosure.
- Download the Avoiding Foreclosure Toolkit.
- Access Loss Mitigation Training and Education Resources
- Review our servicing requirements in our Single-Family Seller/Servicer Guide.
Participate in Instructor-Led and Web-Based Training
Whether you're new to foreclosure avoidance or just need a refresher, we've got around-the-clock training on the various alternatives to foreclosure and on how to select the best options for homeowners in trouble.