In the Spotlight
A major selling opportunity could be waiting in the wings for you. Eighteen million of them.
Survey Says…18 Million 55+ Homeowners Prefer to Move, Likely to Buy Again
A major selling opportunity could be waiting in the wings for you. Eighteen million of them. From who? No, not for Millennials – we're talking about 55+ homeowners who expect to move one more time and say they are likely to buy again.
- 67 million homeowners are 55 or older.
- They control almost two-thirds of the nation's home equity – about $8 trillion.
In a recent GfK survey commissioned by Freddie Mac, we asked about 4,900 homeowners born before 1961 about their financial confidence and housing plan. Here's what we found:
- A significant share of respondents intend to age-in-place -- but in a different place from their current residence.
- For many, that different place will be another house.
- Almost three-quarters of the respondents who plan to move again say they’re more likely to buy a house rather than rent.
That suggests roughly 18 million 55+ homeowners may be shopping for a new home in the next few years.
Are you ready to expand your business?
- Understand the selling opportunities for the 55+ population here.
- Read "Three Reasons Why Baby Boomer Homeowners Are a Market to Watch," our latest Executive Perspectives feature.
- Become a Seniors Real Estate Specialist® (SRES) through the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR). Find information, resources and courses here.