Fraud Prevention Resources
February 3, 2015 – Freddie Mac's Financial Fraud Investigation Unit (FFIU) has updated its comprehensive Single-Family mortgage fraud mitigation best practices document. For easier use, the FFIU has also turned the mortgage screening checklist section into a standalone reference:
- Fraud Mitigation Best Practices: What to look out for, how to report fraud or suspected fraud to Freddie Mac, and what steps you can take to help prevent and resolve fraud.
- Mortgage Screening Process: An at-a-glance checklist of inconsistencies or "red flags" you may find in a mortgage file.
Please review these updated resources and share with the appropriate members within your organization. Stay tuned for updates later this year to additional fraud prevention resources below.
For More Information
- Review the following documents which are also available in the Mortgage Fraud Prevention Toolkit:
- Use our Fraud Prevention Toolkit to help educate your staff and borrowers on how to prevent mortgage fraud. Download the materials and customize them with your contact information and logo.
- Read mortgage fraud articles about current and emerging fraud trends, schemes and best practices.
- Read the Short Sale Fraud Prevention Summary for Real Estate Industry Professionals
- Visit our Quality Control Resources and Fraud Prevention website
Additional Fraud Prevention Resources
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) mortgage fraud Web page provides the latest mortgage fraud statistics and resources.
- Financial Crimes Enforcement Network – Mortgage Fraud Web page provides mortgage fraud related news releases, reports, advisories and resources.
- Financial Fraud Enforcement Task Force Web page (StopFraud.gov) provides a wide variety of financial fraud information, including information on mortgage, loan, lending and related mortgage frauds.
- Loan Modification Scam Alert Web page provides information on loan modification scams, including how to spot and report these types of scams.