Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)
Freddie Mac’s mission is to provide liquidity, stability and affordability to the housing market. We interpret that mission expansively to meet the country’s broader housing needs by providing affordable, safe, sustainable and equitable housing. This includes integrating environmental, social and governance strategies into our business and operations, which we accomplish through four pillars: purpose, planet, people and practices.
In 2020, Freddie Mac established a Sustainability Office that is responsible for developing the corporate sustainability strategy, and managing and driving implementation across the company. To design this strategy, Freddie Mac engaged with internal leaders and external partners to conduct a materiality assessment and researched relevant industry standards to identify ESG issues most important to our stakeholders, long-term business and mission. This work was the foundation to our pillars.
We deliver solutions to meet the country’s housing needs, in good times and bad, promoting greater access to affordable and sustainable homes and rental properties.
- Address longstanding issues of inequity in housing
- Provide liquidity, stability and affordability to the housing market, particularly in underserved communities across the country
We promote environmentally sustainable single-family and multifamily housing to reduce climate-related risks and increase affordability.
- Attract impact capital to the housing market
- Increase resilient, efficient and environmentally sustainable housing
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, Accessibility and Talent
We develop our future workforce and strengthen the housing market through diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility (DEIA).
- Build greater DEIA at Freddie Mac
- Promote DEIA among our partners and suppliers throughout the industry and community
We provide stability to the housing industry through outstanding risk management.
- Further integrate sustainability in our business and operations
- Reduce carbon emissions from our operations